آموزش زبان انگلیسی دوره دبیرستان
**** دبیر را با خود به خانه ببریم ****
Most scientists think that by resting our body, we allow time for essential maintenance work to be done. Any damage that there is can be put right more quickly of energy isn't being used up doing other things. Injured animals certainly spend more time asleep than usual while their wounds are healing. And quite a few illnesses make us feel sleepy so our body can get on with curing us.
Sleep is controlled by certain chemicals. These build up during the day, eventually reaching levels that make us tired. We can control the effects of these chemicals to some extent. Caffeine help to keep us awake while some medicines make us sleepy.
By using electrodes, scientists are able to study what goes on in people's heads while they sleep. They have discovered that when we first drop off everything slows down. The heart beats more slowly and our breathing becomes shallow. After about 90 minutes our eyes start to twitch and we go into what is called REM sleep. REM stands for Rapid Eye Movement, and it's a sign that we've started to dream. (1383)
31. The best title for the passage is …….
1) Why We Dream 2) Facts about Sleep
3) Effect of Chemicals on Sleep 4) Effect of Sleep on Health
32. What causes human sleep is …….
1) some chemicals 2) the need to store energy
3) some wounds and illnesses 4) the slowing down of our heartbeat
33. The word "they" in line 8 refers to …….
1) heads 2) electrodes 3) scientists 4) people
34. The word "twitch" in line 10 is closes in meaning to …… .
1) drop 2) close 3) become heavy 4) move
35. According to the passage, all of the following happen during sleep EXCEPT …….
1) shallow breath 2) less heart activity
3) Rapid Eye Movement 4) increased need for caffeine
38. Everyone has a certain amount of nervousness when talking to a group. Nobody can stop or end this feeling; we should learn how to control it. It is better to use this to add excitement.
39. A good technique is to tell your audience what you are going to say, tell them, and then what you have said. A good structure is for the core message to be linked three points which can be sub-divided as necessary.
40. Regularly move your eyes left-center- right and front-middle-rear and back, so that you involve all your audience. One of the greatest actors says,” a lot of the time, what acting is really about is meeting someone s eyes “- the same is true of public speaking.
41. Find out what the average audience member will be like .What will the average age be? What about their familiarity with the subject? What are they expecting to learn from you? Thinking about these simple elements will set you on the right direction.
42. Your speech will get very boring if you use the same words several times. So use interesting different words and phrases and keep things new.
43. Sometimes tone of voice can have a stronger effect than the message. You can add variety to your speech by raising or lowering your voice, changing the speech of your words, using pauses.
C. Mini comprehension: read the following sentences carefully and answer the questions. (1.5)
The purpose of humor is not to be a comedian but to create a comfortable atmosphere and have fun with the audience. Humor can make difference between an average and an excellent presentation.
44. These sentences mean ……
a. being a comedian is better than being a speaker b. humor is needed in all kinds of speech
c. people may laugh and forget your speech d. humor makes the atmosphere enjoyable
45. The word "atmosphere" in the above sentence means ……
a. the air around the Earth b. general feeling of the place
c. gases in the air d. very beautiful occasion
46. By using humor, we can present an excellent lecture; that is why; we pay attention to ……
a. eye contact b. suitable dress c. sense of humor d. voice projection
D. Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions. (3)
Preparing and making your first public speech can be a hard task. You may find it difficult deciding what you want to say, how to stay it, or perhaps the thought of speaking before an audience scares you. It’s true that some people are naturally talented at public speaking, but the good news is that with some helpful guidance, anyone can write and deliver a successful speech.
47. According to the text ……
a. it is not difficult to decide what to say b. anyone can learn public speech if he tries
c. the people who write well can be good speakers d. only talented people can speak publicly
48. The word “deliver” in the last line is closest in meaning to the word ……
a. design b. decide c. make d. take
49. The word “talented” in line 3 is the closest meaning to the word ……
a. motionless b. gifted c. successful d. proud
50. The best title for this text will be ……
a. steps to follow in lecturing b. public speech for everyone
c. good news for public speakers d. the details of first public speech
51. Which of the following statements is not stated in the text?
a. What to say in speaking is not important.
b. How to say something may be difficult for the speaker.
c. The thought of speaking in public may scare the speaker.
d. It is difficult for any person to have his / her first public speech.
52. What scares you to give a speech?
There is a place on the earth where hot water and steam come up from under the ground. The people who live in these places make use of the heat that comes from inside the earth. Some of them cook in the hot pools. They put food into a basket and place it in the water. Washing is done in much the same way. For most of us the heat under our feet is so far away that we can't use it. We must make our heat by burning coal, oil or gas. The people who get heat from inside the earth are lucky. It takes a lot of money to pay for the coal, oil or gas.
22. The underlined word “it” in line 5 refers to ----------.
1. heat 2. sun 3. foot 4. earth
23. Those people who live near the hot pools can cook their food ----------.
1. by putting it in a basket under the ground
2. inside the hot earth
3. in the hot water
4. by burning coal, oil or gas.
24. It is impossible for most of us to use the heat under the ground because ------.
1. there is not heat inside the earth
2. it is too far away to use
3. it is too hot inside the earth
4. many people do not live near the earth
25. People who get heat from inside the earth are lucky because ---------.
1. they don’t pay for the food which they cook
2. they use the heat of the coal, oil or gas they get
3. they don’t pay for the coal, oil or gas they get
4. they don’t need to buy any food
B. Sentence Comprehension:
---Choose the best answer of the following sentences (3 points).
31. It is said that most of the destructive earthquakes occur in less populated places. It means that less populated places …….
a. are not safe to
32. The problem is in finding the exact area where and when a strong shock will happen. According to the above sentence, we can say that we know …….
a. the place and time of a strong shock b. the exact area of the both weak and strong shock
c. nothing about the exact area of a strong shock d. only about the exact area of a strong shock
33. All of the family members should know how to turn off gas, water, and electricity. It can be inferred that …….
a. It is necessary for family members to use them b. They may cause some problems for family members
c. They may not cause any troubles for family members d. They are needed at the time of a strong shock
C. Read the following passages and answer the following questions:
Reading Comprehension A (5 points)
Last Friday, I stayed at home and read a book. After a while I closed my eyes and slept. A sound at the door made me get up. Soon a little boy came in. I asked, what's the matter? The boy answered, no, your window was open this time and our ball is in your bedroom. May we get it please?
34. Why did you get up?
35. Did you wait for someone?
36. The boy broke the window this time. a. True b. False
37. When he opened the door he saw a little boy. a. True b. False
38. According to the passage we can say that …….
a. the man was asleep b. the man was waiting for his friend
c. he was deeply involved in reading d. he wanted to punish the boy
Reading Comprehension B (5 points)
Earthquake is a shaking, rolling, or sudden shock of the earth's surface. There may be as many as a million earthquakes in a single year. Most of them take place beneath the surface of the sea. Few of these cause any damage. But earthquakes that occur near large cities cause much damage and loss of life, especially if the cities rest on soft ground. The energy released by a large earthquake may equal that of about 200 million short tons of TNT. In other words, its energy may be 10,000 times as great as that of the first atomic bomb. The strength is measured on a scale of numbers called the Richter scale.
39. This passage is mainly about earthquakes. True False
40. The word "these" in the second line refers to …….
a. earthquakes b. seas c. years d. surfaces
41. According to the passage, an earthquake …….
a. may be very
b. destroys less than an atomic bomb
c. makes a lot of
d. repeats 10,000 times
42. The Richter scale …….
a. counts the dangers of
b. counts the number of earthquakes
c. measures the
strength of earthquakes
d. measures the distance between earthquakes
43. We can understand from the passage that …….
a. earthquakes do not happen very
b. most of them are dangerous
c. we do not notice earthquakes under the sea
d. an earthquake is a shake under the
Find this and other readings exercises in English Exercises .org Sumo Wrestling: Reading and Listening Comprehension, by Judit Jékel
Find this and other sports exercises in English Exercises .org ´And Europe´s Worst Linguists Are…´ (Author-Bouabdellah), by Bouabdellah
Find this and other readings exercises in English Exercises .org
|[ طراحی : میهن اسکین ] [ Weblog Themes By : MihanSkin]|